Thursday 24 June 2010

7 days to go

My school leaver's ball is a week today. To say that I'm excited would be an understatement.
This is the only big, dress-up event I will ever attend in relation to my school, and as a result, I started thinking about my dress early. Some people are saying that they aren't going to make much of an effort "I'll just get a dress from town that I can wear again because it's just a school thing/I don't want to spend too much money/I don't really care", and that's their choice, there's nothing wrong with that - I just think that this ball is about celebrating the end of our (secondary) school careers and the time we have spent together. But then again, I love any excuse to dress up.
I thought I had found the perfect dress in a vintage shop in Covent Garden. It was floor length pink silk covered by a layer of black net, with some minimal bead detailing on the bust, but sadly, it was made in the 1920s, when women were considerably more flat chested than I am, so I was left to look elsewhere. 
I then considered ASOS Black, especially this dress:
However, I really didn't want to be wearing the same dress as anyone else. 
Which means that I, or rather, my mother, would be making the dress. And that's exactly what we did. 
The dress comes from a Vintage Vogue pattern, and is in pink silk and black net, like the dress I tried on. 
I wanted it to be a combination of the dress Grace Kelly wears in Rear Window, the dress Carrie Bradshaw wears in Paris in the last episode of Sex and the City, when she meets Big and a Dior dress I saw in an old issue of Vogue. 



Only six people have seen the dress - I'm really keeping it hidden until the ball itself - I don't understand why people post pictures of themselves in the dress on Facebook - it ruins the wonderful surprise. 
Flo x

All images via: Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails